Thursday, February 1, 2007

Mastodon, Converge, Priestess @ The 40 Watt: SHOW REVIEW

So no post yesterday due to hectic schedule, and seeing Mastodon at the 40 Watt in Athens last night. So how was it? Brutal. They fucking destroyed. Priestess started the evening out with some pretty raw, heavy riffage. Simple straight up rock. Their sound is kind of a throwback to 70's heavy metal with a little sludge thrown in for good measure. I wasn't familiar with their music before seeing them live, so consider me pleasantly surprised. Next up was Converge. I had never seen them live, but I own most of their albums and was excited to see them translated into a live set. Amazing. Their ability to energize the crowd, whipping them into a frothing pit of sweat and testosterone was mesmerizing. Their albums must just be practice for their live shows. The musicianship is intense and calculated while still allowing for the improvisational elements that make live shows worth going to. Totally sick. Definitely a must see live band! Mastodon was the main act and got on stage around midnight, and treated the sold-out crowd to an hour and a half of pure prog-metal bliss. Complex and technical fret work, odd time signatures, thrashy hardcore, sludge covered metal....this band doesn't garner major attention for nothing. Every member is right on point. Their drummer, Brann Dailor, unleashed some of the sickest drumming I've ever seen. Guitar player & part-time vocalist, Brent Hinds wowed us with his intricate, perfectly executed Maiden-like guitarwork...while thrashing about & lovin' every minute of it. Well Brent, we were lovin' every minute of it too. I left around 2:00am, big grin and a loud buzzing in my ears. Hooray.
(Hopefully I'll be getting some live pics from the show soon, and I'll try to post them tonight)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAh!!!! I live in JAcksonville now, and I was working that day... I sure as hell would have loved to have been there tho. Thanks for the report!