Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ten Years of "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"

To say that Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is one of my favorite albums of all-time, is not an overstatement. I've spent the last 26+ years feeding what can only be described as a "music addiction"; I have relatively short relationships with certain albums, others will always be good for various reasons, while a small group are still capable of pulling the strongest of emotions out of me even upon the thousandth listen. "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is most definitely among the latter. It was released on February 10, 1998, during my sophomore year in college (a friend introduced it to me right around it's release). I can still remember him telling me how he thought this album was the start of a whole new era in music, and how cool it was that they lived in our home state (GA). At the time I thought it was a pretty over-dramatic statement, but of course, looking at that statement now I'd say I would have to wholeheartedly agree. It's hard to go too in depth about how I truly feel when I listen to this album, mainly because it effects me on such a deep & personal level (let's just say that this post would get way too long, and probably a little embarrassing...so I'll spare everyone).

Pitchfork has a really great column about this album, with quite a few indie-rock elite sharing their take on this envelope-pushing (and perfect in every way) album, including: Dan Snaith (Caribou), Tim Kasher (Cursive), Josh Jones (Evangelicals), Randy Randall (NO AGE), Kevin Barnes (Of Monteral), and more. You can read it here.

Here's to an album that will blasting in my earphones/speakers for the rest of my life, and thank you Neutral Milk Hotel for giving me an album that is capable of taking me to the highest highs each and every time.

1 comment:

michael itaki mcreynolds said...

In an Aeroplane is where I have been and where I always want to stay.