Monday, January 15, 2007

Jesu "Conqueror"


So I've been really digging the new Jesu album, "Conqueror". Despite all the heavy drone and low-end sonics, it's actually quite pretty. Yes, pretty. Not that there's anything wrong with drone, I just wouldn't normally describe drone as "pretty". It invokes the same kind of visual/emotional imagery that bands like Sigur Ros and The Album Leaf do with me. Open water, expansive tundras, macrocosms and microcosms...like you could go forever in any direction, just exploring.
This is the second full-length (fourth release) by experimental metal guru, Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Napalm Death), and I have to say this is definitely his best so far. I'm a designer, and when I'm working on something I like to listen to music that's not too distracting, instrumental stuff usually. This album is definitely too distracting. I find myself day-dreaming, thinking about obscure shit...oh wait, I have a deadline..crap! So if you can dedicate a hour to daydreaming, spirit-walking, or whatever the kids are calling it these days, then grab the earphones and a comfortable pillow and pop in "Conqueror". It's like seeing a really good movie. One that gets you all introspective afterwards. Very overwhelming, in a good way.

Download the song "Conqueror" here. (Via P'fork)

No comments: